Karnataka public library under the Act 1965, dated:-01-1-66 department of public library came into existence. Directorate office is situated in Vishweshwaraiah tower 4th floor DR.Ambedkar Veedi, Bangalore-1
Under this one Indira priyadarshini children’s library, 30 DCL, 26 CCL, 15 mobile libraries are branch libraries & 5766 Grama panchayathi libraries are working successfully.
Department of Public Libraries
City Central Library General Information.
Tumkur city central library was established in the year 01 December 1997.
In this library daily 500 to 600 readers are gaining the library services. City central library having more than 2 lakhs books. Main library all types of information which includes biography, bibliography, dictionaries literature encyclopedia and competitive books.
Apart from that periodical sections providing best services to the public. Users With 25 types of news papers 50 types of magazines and also Karnataka Gazettee for readers.
The city central Library is a collection of information, sources, resources, books, and services and the structure in which it is housed: it is organized for use and maintained by a public, institution, or a private individual. In the more traditional sense, a library is a collection of books, The term can mean the collection, the building that house such a collection or birth.
3. Hierarchy of office.
- City Central Library
- Branch Libraries
i. Hanumanthapura branch Library
ii. SIT branch Library
iii. SIRAGATE branch Library
iv. DEVARAYA PATNA branch Library
v. KANNADA BHAVANA branch Libraries
vi. AMRAJYOTI NAGARA branch Libraries
vii. PG Layout Branch Libraries
viii. Melekote Branch Libraries
- Children’s community centre :-modern primary school compound,Siragate.
Father of Library Science in India
Shiyali Ramamrita Ranganathan born on August 9th 1892 in shiyali madras. He died on September 27 1972. He is an Indian librarian and library educator who was considered the father of library science is India and whose contribution had worldwide influence.
World famous Librarians
- Melvil Dewey
- S R Ranganathan
S.R.Ranganathan proposed five law of library science
- Books Are for use
- Every Book Its Reader
- Every Reader his /her Book
- Save the Time of the user
- Library is a Growing organization
Library classification systems
- Library softwares
Branches Library Address
- Hanumanthapura Branch Library
Near kollapuradamma Temple, opp seetha school, Hanumanthapura, Tumkur-572 103
- SIT Branch Library
23 rd cross, SIT, Tumkur-572 103
- Siragate Branch Library
Near kalidasa Circle, Madhugiri road, Siragate Tumkur-572 103
- Devarapatna Branch Library
Govt School Compound, Devarayapatna, Tumkur-572 104
- Amarajyothi nagara Branch Library
Near sai baba temple, Amara jyothi nagara, Tumkur-572 102
- Kannada Bhavana Branch Library
Opp Lurdu Matha English Medium School, Srirama Nagara, Tumkur.
- PG Layout Branch Library
Jaipura Road, Tumkur-572 102
- Melekote Branch Library
Melekote primary school compound, Melekote, Tumkur.
Mobile library facilities is also providing by the city central library which covering 30 points all over Tumkur City or wards. It is one of the best service providing for public by city central library.
Children’s community centre :-
- GMHP School Compound,
Kalidasa nagara, Siragate, Tumkur.
- District Central Jail Bhovipalya, Oorukere, Tumkur.
2. SP office service centers, Sp office compound, BH road, Tumkur.
3. Home guard service centers, Near HMT, Baddihalli, Tumkur.
4. Women’s jail, Kunigal road, Gandhi Nagara, Tumkur.
News Papers Centers (Vachanalaya)
- Muslim welfare association, PH colony, Tumkur.
- Musjid azam-a –jum, Oil mill Road, Santhe pete, Tumkur
- Papathiyamma c/o Arunachalam.k complex, BH Road, Tumkur
- Paper section, Main branch, city central library, BH Road, Tumkur.
1. Bharathi sthri samaja, 5th cross, SS puram, Tumkur.
Facilities/Services Provide by the department and Procedure to get facilities / Services.
1. Every person who enters the library shall sign the gate register
in token of his/her acceptance to adhere to the rules of the library.
2. No personal belongings shall be allowed except for purses and notebooks. These shall be deposited at the property counter.
3. The readers shall maintain silence within the library premises.
4. No reader is allowed to sleep in the library premises.
5. Eating/loud conversation/chewing and similar objectionable acts are not allowed and are strictly prohibited in the library.
6. Borrowers will be held responsible for any damage or mutilation of the document noticed at the time of returning. Hence it is in the interest of the borrower to verify at the time of borrowing, whether the document is in good condition or not, and report damage/mutilation if any, to the library staff.
7. The Library staff are authorized to check any user for documents brought into or taken out of the Library.
8. The readers are liable for punishment and fine if found misbehaving or indulging in the process of book hiding, stealing, mutilate, write, mark or damage the books or any other property of the library.
9. The reader shall behave in a civilized manner. The librarian may expel any person if the presence of such a person is liable to break the peace.
10. Please do not reshelf of the books/journals after use, leave them on the table. The library staff shall reshelf them.
11. The reader shall behave in a civilized manner. The librarian may expel any person if the presence of such a person is liable to break the peace.
12. Contravention of the above rules will entail suspension/ cancellation of membership or any other corrective action that the management may think it.
- Every member shall present their own borrower’s ticket before any book is issued.
- New Books can only be issued after technical processing has been completed.
- Reference books, rare books, unbounded periodicals may not be issued generally except with the written permission of the librarian.
- The members shall be allowed to refer books in the Library only after submitting their ID Card to the Librarian.
- The librarian shall have the power to refuse the issue of a book to any member or he can recall any book without assigning any reason thereby.
Renewal of Book:
- Documents borrowed should be presented physically for renewal.
- Documents will be renewed only if there are no demand for that Book.
- If books are not returned on the due date, an overdue charge Of1.00rs/1Book/per day will be charged.
- The librarian can refuse to issue books to defaulters.
- Any recovery once debited shall not be refunded.
Librarian may send reminders for overdue books.
Loss of Books /Damage:
In case any book is lost /damaged by the member, the member shall replace the book or pay double the cost of the lost book. If one book lost in the volumes of the set, the reader has to replace the whole set.
Loss of Borrowers Tickets:
The members are responsible for the Borrower’s Cards issued to them. In case of loss of Borrower’s Card, the borrower must report immediately to the Librarian.
A. Steps to becoming a member to the Library.
- Applicant must take application form (Rs.1/-)
- Must fill all the relevant columns with a reference from notable person.
- After collecting form in the Library, we send a letter to the person given address. He should come along with the letter with a Identity proof & photos.
- Collect relevant fee with receipt.
- Finally we provide membership cards with Chief-Librarian/ Librarian/Section In-charge sign to the member with some Library Instructions
B. Steps to barrow a book from Library.
- Members can take books (not allow to get Reference Books) from library as pledge their each card per Book.
- Within 15 days member must return or renewal to next date. that time must produce the books to the section in-charge.
- There will be fine After 15 days as 1day/per Book/ 1.Rs
C. Fee Structure
· 1 Book/1 Card = Rs. 50/-
· 2 Book/2 Card = Rs. 75/-
· 3 Book/3 Card = Rs. 100/-
- Technical section
- Circulation Section
- Periodical /Reference Section
- Newspaper section
1. Tumakuru Head office complete address
City Central Library
Town Hall Circle
2. Contact Details
Office of the Deputy Director
City Central Library
B.H.Road, BGS Circle
Office Ph. No-0816-2256036